This post has been a long time coming.
Whether you are aware of it or not, you have a somewhat of a routine that you put yourself through everyday. You may not like your current one, or you may be one of those people who are super disciplined and have their routine down to a tee, but regardless you have one and it is important that you are aware of it.
About a year ago when I started this blog and this journey of living a cleaner, healthier, more sustainable life I was pretty overwhelmed. I was in a weird transition stage in life where I ended up dropping out of college, taking on two pretty demanding part- time jobs and was going through some hard life situations that were just draining. What I realized is that the choices I made, or the choices I opted out of, really played a big part in determining if the day was going to be a good one or a bad one. Something I have been learning about life is that it doesn’t slow down, and it doesn’t stop happening. It can be hard and grueling, but it also can be fun and blissful. Regardless of the situation, or what season I may have been going through, I knew I had the option to make the best of any situation. And I found that power through adjusting my morning routine to help set up my body and brain to find the positive in every day.
Finding a routine is so important. I found it to be vital in order to function as a human. And actually taking the time to create a routine that works for you and brings life and some sort of sustainability is a game changer. I think that we can easily stress our selves out about what a morning routine should look like because I feel like social media tricks us into thinking that we have to do things a certain way.
I follow and know several Instagram people who look like they have the perfect life, the perfect routine, the perfect everything. But knowing that the truth is that nothing is perfect breathes grace and life into my perception of what a routine should be.
This is what a healthy routine should do for you:
-promote positive thoughts, vibes, choices, etc.
-make you feel good
-support what you value as important and needed in your life
-make you feel refreshed
-give you a positive outlook on the day
-create rhythms of sustainability
…and so much more. Routine does require discipline, but should also promote a feeling of rejuvenation. It should bring joy and a sense of accomplishment.
I want to share my typical morning routine. Not because you need to do it, but maybe to help inspire you to create and stick to your own!
- I try and wake up the first time my alarm goes off between 5a-7a. It really depends on my work schedule when I wake up, but I love mornings, so it is important for me to make sure I have to enjoy some of it before I start any work.
- Coffee or matcha. I need one of the two, I prefer matcha because I think it works better for me, but there is something about sitting down and catching up on some reading or listening to music first thing in the morning with a mug in hand, I just love it!
- I always try and wash my face. I mean, yes a clean face is good, but also I just feel super fresh when I do that. I have been using this super simple soap with grapefruit extract and it has been EVERYTHING.
- I always try to meditate for 3-10 mins. I am trying to do this everyday just because I really do enjoy it and enjoy taking time to just sit with my thoughts and process what is going on in my brain. I feel like I am better able to prepare my self mentally and emotionally for the day when I meditate.
- I also try and exercise in the morning if my schedule allows it. This could be anything from going to the gym to taking a walk outside. Just trying to intentionally engage my body in some sort of physical activity is important to me.
And that is about it. Those are the 5 things I try and do every morning before I start my day. Doing these things helps me feel productive and like I am actually taking care of myself. Having value for self care is so important. We have to take care of ourselves if we want to be able to take care of others.
Try and incorporating a few things intentionally into your mornings and see how it changes your day. Also remember we are humans and drop the ball all the time. Your routine doesn’t have to be perfect, but constantly evolving to fit what you and your mind need.
Cheers to routine and living the best life we can!